Tuesday 18 March 2014

Tones and Undertones

Skintone is quite a straightforward thing to find out, so that's never been a problem. Especially for me, I just go ahead and buy the lightest/second lightest colour in any foundation/concealer range.

The undertones of the skin is a bit more tricky, and it took me some surfing on the web, and a few personal consultations with makeup counter sales associates to confirm that I slant towards cool undertones.

Apparently, there's this vein test, whereby the colours of the veins on the inside of your wrist can tell you what your undertone is.

  • If the veins appear blue or purple: COOL
  • If the veins appear green: WARM
  • If you have difficulty differentiating between blue or green: NEUTRAL  

My veins most definitely appear blue on my left wrist, BUT appear blue/green on my right wrist. LOL SO WHAT AM I?? Anyway, I stick to using the NC range for MAC, and tend to choose more yellowy rather than pinkish-beige concealers for the fact that pink concealers tend to accentuate the redness of the very pimple I'm trying to hide.

Links:
Michelle Phan's Guide - broad overview
Paula's Choice Guide - comprehensive explanation and test
The Beauty Department's Guide -includes recommendations on what colours to choose in order to match skintone and undertone

No comments:

Post a Comment